Well the snow is still thick on the ground and I had to make some soup for work so it was a case of 'what have I got in?' I had a dig through cupboards and fridge and found these bits and pieces and was fancying some spice and its so cold. This soup gives you loads of vegetables too and the beans make it filling and bacon....well bacon is always good : )
Spicy bacon and bean soup
- 1 pack lean back bacon (sliced into strips)
- 2 x tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 tin blackeyed beans (drained)
- (or use whatever tinned beans you have in or plain old baked beans will do )
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3-4 large carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 3-4 sticks celery (chopped...if you like it )
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 3 pints vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tsp chili powder (or more or less depends how you like it)
- spray oil
- salt and pepper
Spray a large saucepan with a little spray oil and put in the onions, celery and carrots and cook on a medium heat until the vegetables have started to soften , Add the bacon, garlic and oregano and fry until bacon is cooked (couple of minutes).
Add the tomatoes, stock , chili powder and bring to the boil then simmer for 30-40 minutes.
Finally add the beans and season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes to heat the beans through.
Stay warm and enjoy xx