This hearty potato and onion cake from the North East of England is an amazingly low-cost dinner – Slimming World’s version includes cabbage and tasty ham to make it a complete meal. This dish can be ready on the dinner table in 1hr. This recipe serves 4 people. Any leftovers can be kept in a Tupperware in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ green cabbage, shredded
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 2 onions, halved and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 225g lean ham, visible fat removed, diced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for about 10-12 minutes or until just tender, adding the cabbage for the last 4 minutes.
- Drain, return to the saucepan and leave to cool. Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick ovenproof frying pan with low calorie
- cooking spray and place over a low-medium heat. Add the onions and fry for 10 minutes, adding the garlic for the last 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4.
- Add the onions and garlic to the potatoes and cabbage in the saucepan and stir in the ham and eggs. Season and mix well.
- Spray the ovenproof frying pan with more low calorie cooking spray and spoon in the potato mixture, pressing down lightly. Fry for 5 minutes over a medium heat then transfer the frying pan to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
Credit: Recipe taken from Slimming World’s Food Glorious Food book, which is available now in all Slimming World groups priced at £4.95. Visit our website or call 0844 897 8000 to find your nearest group. Photo: Slimming World’s Food Glorious Food/Lara Holmes.